IF YOU HAVE STRESS AND A PARCHED SENSATION, IT CAN BE DRY MOUTH. HERE’S HOW YOU CAN TELL…
Dry mouth or “xerostomia” is when salivary glands aren’t producing enough saliva. Anyone can have xerostomia at any time in life.You can have dry mouth from a sudden trauma in life that causes anxiety or stress, or from caffeine in that daily cup of coffee,aging, side effects from medication, autoimmune diseases, snoring, mouth breathing, radiation or chemotherapy, tobacco, alcohol or drug use.
How do you know when you have dry mouth? Symptoms include frequent thirst, a parched sensation, a dry or sticky feeling in your mouth or throat, thick feeling saliva, bad breath, difficulty breathing, chewing, swallowing, a difference in the taste of food,hoarseness, split skin in the corners in the mouth, mouth sores and cracked lips.
The reason it’s so important to have enough saliva is because it not only helps you chew and digest food, but saliva keeps tooth decay at bay by naturally cleaning your mouth. Dry mouth can increase plaque and gum disease.
You can try to naturally increase saliva production. Here are some tips: - Try making ginger tea. Ginger increases saliva production. - Limit caffeine. Try decreasing the amount of coffee you drink. - Eliminate mouthwashes that contain alcohol. - Hydrate. Drink water throughout the day. - Avoid antihistamines and decongestants. - Breathe through your nose.Mouth breathers dry out the mouth and the oxygen increasing bacteria. For snorers and mouth breathers at night, myofunctional therapists often suggest that clients try taping their mouths with medical paper tape at night.
One of the best ways to improve saliva production is improving your overall oral hygiene. That’s why we created a 5-step to protect your oral health and eliminate dry mouth.
- Optimum EFA Blend. Take one softgel with each meal. Borage seed oil is added to this highly concentrated essential fatty acid blend of GLA, EPA and DHA.
- Liquid Vitamins/Minerals. Just one tablespoon a day meets your antioxidant and trace minerals needs.
- WaterJet. This best-selling water flosser is important for cleaning 360 degrees around your teeth and flushing out particles that string floss can miss.
- Chewable Probiotic. Take one chewable probiotic after brushing. It’s one of the only all natural, vegan-certified oral probiotics on the market to promote or restore a healthy oral flora.
- Bamboo Toothbrush. This sustainably grown bamboo toothbrush has charcoal bristles designed to clean and purify teeth and gums, reducing plaque build up and odor-causing bacteria. Charcoal is known to absorb discolorations in your tooth enamel, whitening your teeth as well. The Orasana bamboo toothbrush has a 100% biodegradable bamboo handle, and this toothbrush is vegan and environmentally friendly as it contains no animal byproducts.
Bonus step 6!
We include an instructional food guide with foods to eat that’ll help promote salivary function, since healthy, nutritious foods are foundational for our health and well-being.
Our Optimum EFA Blend is an important component in this unique program to eliminate dry mouth as it promotes cellular health and fluidity. Our bodies need essential fatty acids. Reports have shown that essential fatty acids from Omega-3, as well as Vitamin E, increases salivary gland production. So if you have dry eyes, this would benefit you as well.
While fish oil is often sold on its own, our Optimum EFA Blendalso has GLA (gamma linolenic acid) from borage seed oil as well as four Vitamin E forms, an all-natural mixed tocopherols, which is often left out.Borage seed oil is rich in essential fatty acids that regulate skin and joint inflammation and the body's immune system. Thishighly concentrated essential fatty acid blend combinesEPA and DHA naturally-sourced from anchovies and sardines. The benefits of EPA and DHA are well documented in cardiovascular function, playing an anti-inflammatory role in the body, as well as in the viscosity of cell membranes. DHA is found in all cell membranes, especially in the brain and retina. It’s often difficult to get enough EPA and DHA from our diets, even if we eat a lot of marine sources such as salmon and algae. That’s why supplementation is the best way to get the day’s recommended dosage.
We always strive to be as eco-friendly as we can be. We choose bottles that are proportionate to the number of capsules, so there’s less plastic waste.